Preparing for the NBCOT Certification Exam? With June just around the corner, it is time to prepare for the OT exam. There are a myriad of tools available to study for the OT certification examination. Online resources, exam study books and apps to help prepare. Online tools are not only for studying for the NBCOT Exam but also for many other OT related specialty areas. Study resources can be helpful if you want to update your skills (wonder what the content is in the OT curriculum these days???) or studying for a specialty certification for the practicing therapist. Here are a few resources readily available for purchase or free!
Most likely most millennial students already know the resources available to them. As a boomer, it is interesting to stumble upon all these tools available to students and practitioners. I would guess that most boomers are saying, “if only I had that, how much easier it would have been”. While that may be the case, the knowledge base of current OT practice has expanded exponentially since my college days ! There are many new areas of practice with evidence based also an important focus of practice. Yes, many changes!
Here are a few study tools and also some resources available that might aid studying for the exam for OT Practitioners:
NBCOT Aspire has several resources available specifically for studying:
- Online self assessment for OT Practitioners provides an assessment of your knowledge base. A OTR and COTA assessment is available
- Exam Blue Prints provides identify the most critical and frequently performed tasks by OTR and COTA certificants.
- Entry Level Knowledge Match Game available for purchase through NBCOT.
- Official NBCOT Flash Card app (6.99) for iOS and Android is available. A free version with examples of the app for iOS and Android is available with 24.99 for the full version for each OTR and COTA exam.
- OTR and COTA exam study guides are available for $60.00
- NBCOT Practice Tests are available online as a one time assessment for OTR and COTA’s.
Numerous books are available for studying such as those available on Amazon for purchase or rent: Amazon Books for OT Exam . Google also has books available for OT Exam preparation.
Study Stack has a variety of resources for OTR/COTA exam as well as study content for any OT Practitioner.
Quizlet.com , an online resource for flash cards for many subjects, has study topics for US and Canadian OT exams. Quizlet apps for iOS, Android and Kindle are also available if you want to make your own multi-media flash cards or use existing cards. OT content is available for many subjects in Quizlet.com and may be a handy resource if studying for specialty areas for practicing OT’s as well. Quizlet app is one of a number of free flashcard apps with free online flashcards shared by others.
StudyBlue.com , another online resource of flash cards for subjects related and specific to OT. Study Blue apps for iOS and Android are free allowing download of existing subject flash cards or the option to create your own.
Whether studying for the exam or keeping your skills up to date there are many technology based tools to help you learn!
What other OT Exam tools have you used?