Spell Better app is a free iPad app (upgrade for 9.99) that provides word prediction capabilities with read back /text to speech capabilities. The upgrade provides export options and additional notes. As the function of writing is to publish or share information, the lack of export (locked) in the free version limits use, however, it does have some good qualities:
- Phonetic word prediction
- Text to speech capabilities
- Dictionaries available to look up predicted words (however the definitions can not be read aloud.
- Three prediction vocabularies sizes (3,000, 12,000 or 33,000+)
- Other options:
- Text size, font types
- Prediction and speech options
- Two background colors (Pale yellow or light gray)
- Ability to trial the app for free.
The Open Dyslexic font is also an option in this app which is a benefit for some student reading needs.
Here is a quick video review of Spell Better (free) app, created by the folks at iCATER:
Check it out to determine if this is helpful for your students.