The folks at Duck Duck Moose develop great, classic preschool and primary skill apps. Among their apps are the classic Wheels on the Bus, Itsy Bitsy Spider, Old MacDonald and Baa Baa Black Sheep as well as their other preschool apps as Draw and Tell, Fish School and Park Math to name a few.
Their newest app development is Moose Math App (iPhone/iPad; 3.99), providing more number fun with concepts as rational counting and adding in an interactive activity with Dust Funnies and Moose engaging in bingo, dot to dot, sorting quantities of shapes and adding and subtracting in 5 different kid friendly activities:
- MOOSE JUICE: Make smoothies while practicing counting, addition and subtraction
- PAINT PET: Match the pets by counting the number of dots
- PET BINGO: Solve addition, subtraction and counting problems to get BINGO
- LOST & FOUND: Learn and sort through shapes and colors
- DOT TO DOT: Help the Dust Funny find his way home by joining the dots
PLAY CATEGORY: Early Learning/Curriculum
Kids will learn the following math skills based on Common Core State Standards:
- Understand the relationship between numbers and quantities
- Solve word problems and algebraic thinking
- Practice number pattern recognition
- Count by 1′s, 2′s, 5′s and 10′s
- Master counting to 100
Addition & Subtraction:
- Add and subtract by 1′s, 2′s, 5′s and 10′s
- Add and subtract up to 20
- Learn to add and subtract with numbers, dice
- Master geometry at Kindergarten and First Grade levels
- Learn to identify and recognize shapes
- Understand and compare lengths
Moose Math also maintains assessment data on single student progress:
Duck Duck Moose also provides Learning links to extension activities on their website that support each of the 5 areas of skills focused on in the app.
For OT’s or teachers who might want to use these on the fly, screen shots of the activity can be created and completed using Doodle Buddy or Draw Free to complete on your iPad if appropriate for your student or situation (see creating activities on your iPad for more information). Consider the use of a stylus if you are working on pencil skills when completing the worksheets on your iPad.
A trailer on Moose Math provides additional information on the app:
For OT’s and special education teachers, Moose Math provides practice with preschool math concepts including counting, adding and sorting shapes while also collecting data on student skills. Although this app does not collect the data such as accuracy with motor accuracy, however it is an app that supports reinforcement of academic skills with visual motor skill reinforcement. It is an app that can be used by OT’s as well as used to reinforce preschool, kindergarten and primary number skills for regular, special needs students who need practice with those skills. Enrolling single users and data collection is always a strong point with apps which is present in Moose Math app.
Moose Math app is another great app developed by Duck Duck Moose that may be appropriate for teachers or OT mTool Kit! If as an OT you might not use this app, suggest any of the Duck Duck Moose apps to your EC or primary teachers mTool Kit!