Choiceboard Creator App is a simple, free iPad app that provides the ability to present questions and answer choices with visually and audio capabilities. There is a simple method of designating which is the correct answer with an audio response provided when the correct answer is chosen by the user (clapping sound). Here are some of the features of the app as described by the developers:
- Large buttons, and black/white contrast to facilitate visual attention
- Box sizes are now adjustable for those who just need to see a little more clearly
- Clean board design to minimize visual distraction
- Space between choice buttons to avoid inadvertent hits
- Customizable to 1,2,3,4 or 6 choices
- Users can download their own pictures
- Users can create blank boxes as distractors to suit users of all levels
- Now users can preset multiple “correct answer” boxes, and download different sound files to each box – a feature that allows users to choose their favorite music with just a tap
- Other than image files, users can now type text into the choice box – use this feature to teach sight words, letter, number recognition
- Versatile application that can be used to create curriculum content to promote cognitive and literacy skills
- Ease of use. Intuitive interface allows user to set up activities in minutes
- Allows users to create multiple pages for each “game” or activity
Examples of choice boards/activities:
- •Odd one out (find the image that is different)
- •Music player (touch the correct image to play the tune)
- •Present vocabulary, sight words, shapes, numbers, or alphabets in array of boxes and ask your child to find the right one.
Choiceboard Creator app is easy to create and use. There are a few limitations I would love to see the developers change. The question box does not have audio capabilities so either the individual needs to be able to read or the question or text needs to be read to the user. Also, the audio in the boxes or choices have to have the sound imported in from another source rather than having a recording option built into the app. Despite those limitations, it is a very easy, FREE, and useful app for many purposes as described above. I have started using Choiceboard Creator to provide simple question and visual answers to books created of curriculum content adapted for the regular education classroom. It will not collect assessment data, but for the students I am using this with, assistance is always present for the student.
Have you had experience with this app? How have you used the app or might use it?
I definitely added this to my students’ apps and my OT iTool Kit app list!