Rehab2Go shares some good reminders of how to find apps and what to look for. A few websites that provide wonderful curated app lists or search engine include:
- Bridging apps – a search engine for apps related to individuals with disabilities.
- KinderTown – The educational app store and website that reviews and lists apps for 3-6 year olds. Their website and blog provides wonderful, practical suggestions age appropriate activities and apps to support hands on activities for the young learner. A KinderTown App is available for free.
- The Friendship Circle searchable data base of app for individuals with special needs. Lists both iOS and Android apps .
- AppAdvice website and app (1.99) provides reviews on universal apps under a wide variety of categories for everyone. This is a great place to find productivity, reference, note taking app reviews.
- Apps for Children with Special Needs – This site provides written and video reviews of app for children and students.
- Apps for Dyslexia and Learning Disability – Extensive list of apps for individuals with dyslexia and LD.
- Autism Apps listing from Autism Speaks – An app and web-based curated listing of apps for individuals with autism. Apps are categorized by subjects and easily searchable. A free Autism App is available.
A good review of how to choose an app and a short list of good app review websites!
I do presentations on mobile technology a few times a year, and give out a general handout for clients and therapists on “How to Choose an App.” The tips include the following:
- Keep it Simple – Start with the apps that come with the device.
- Word of mouth – What do your friends/colleagues use? What do they like about it? See if you can try their app.
- Official app stores – Stay with known providers (Eg. iTunes, Google Play, WindowsPhone or Blackberry World). When you download an app from an unknown website, you risk downloading an app with a virus.
- Reviews on apps
- Read reviews on iTunes, Google Play, WindowsPhone or Blackberry World – be cautious of overly praised (100% 5 star ratings) as “real” reviews will have a mixed rating
- Googlesearch for review of the app – include search words such as “best” or “favorite”
- You-Tubesearch to…
View original post 183 more words