Are you familiar with Bitsboard app? By the developers at Grasshopper apps, this fabulous iPad language app provides many activities that are customizable activities for students with special needs. Thinking this is just for speech or the special education teacher? Think again! For students who are learning basic new concepts you may want to put pictures of letters, numbers, shapes, symbols or functional pictures when learning ADL skills in to the board to reinforce the concept and pictures. Customization with pictures, recorded voices and text can be performed on each flash card.
I use Bitsboard with students at the middle and high school that are learning functional life skills and vocational tasks. Reinforcing vocabulary of functional objects that require repetition with varieties of pictures of the same functional object (cups, plates, spoons, different sized towels/hand clothes) for learning and generalization to occur. Bitsboard provides a hierarchy of activities from easy more difficult. Within the app they provide 10 different learning games as listed below in a hierarchy:
Game 1. Flashcards – 10,000+ free flash cards, fully customizable settings
Game 2. Explore – Review all flashcards at once. Awesome study mode
Game 3. Photo Touch – Can you spot the right item? Play and learn at the same time
Game 4: True or False – Do you know the answer?
Game 5: Pop Quiz – Ready for a new challenge?
Game 6: Mach Up – Can you match the items?
Game 7: Word Builder Part 1 – Can you form the words?
Game 8: Word Builder Part 2 – Can you form the sentences?
Game 9: Spelling Bee – Suddenly spelling is a game
Game 10: Reader – A fun way to learn how to read
Game 11: Genius – Ready to mix up all the games at once?
• Bitsboard keeps track of every answer and makes it easy for you to see what words and boards you have mastered and which ones you need to study some more.
A NEW PRO FEATURE SUPPORTS MULTIPLE USERS
• Bitsboard makes it easy to add multiple users and switch between user accounts
• Track progress at the user level
• Automatically saves game settings at the user level
ACCELERATES YOUR LEARNING
• Bitsboard’s learning algorithm automatically personalizes each game based on the players skills.
• Bitsboard knows your problem words and when you are ready to move on to your next challenge.
SHARE AND SYNC CONTENT ACROSS DEVICES
• With Bitsboard, you can share and sync your custom lessons across devices with just one click
• You can also utilize a huge resource of online Bitsboard activities completed by other colleagues.
This is a great app! If this won’t be part of your OT mTool Kit, share with parents, speech therapists and special education teachers – they will love it!