While researching social skills apps appropriate for individuals with autism, I stumbled upon an extensive app list entitled “A List of Apps for Social Skills and Autism Spectrum Disorders“ compiled by Jessica Chase, MA. CCC-SLP on her website Constantly Speaking.
Her list of apps published in May 2012 is extensive (82 pages!). She categorized the hundreds of apps under the following topics:
- Overall Social Skills
- Prewritten Social Story Apps
- Stories with Social Skills Concepts/students with Disabilities
- Life Skills
- Create Your Own Social Stories/Video. Modeling Apps
- Conversation Maintenance /Conversation Starters
- Nonverbal Communication/ Eye contact
- Visual Schedule/Choice boards
- Visual Timers
- Sensory/Calming Apps
- Dietary/Gluten Free Apps
- Apps that Search for Information on Disabilites
- Autism Information Apps
Of the apps listed, many were familiar however there were many new apps to consider, specific to social skills and individuals with autism. If you are looking for a current compendium of apps related to social skills this is the list for you!
Kudos to Jessica Chase, M. A. CCC-SLP from Consonantly Speaking for her diligence with creating and sharing this extensive app list!