Searching for visual perceptual apps, I stumbled upon an extensive list of visual perceptual apps at Family Vision Care website. By permission from Dr. Carole L. Hong, OD, FCOVD, here is the link to the pdf entitled Apps that can aid in Visual Skills which provides apps categorized by visual skill and rated as beginner, intermediate or advanced skill level. Here are the categories of listed apps:
- Eye Movement Control
- Visual Spatial Skill of Laterality and Directionality
- Visual Motor Integration
- Simultaneous/Sustaining Focus at Near, Depth Awareness
- Color Perception
- Visual Perception (Discrimination, Memory, Sequential Memory, Spatial Relations, Form Constancy, Figure Ground, Visual Closure
- Visual Integration
With previous discussions regarding the value of the iPad for visual motor and visual perceptual skill development, I found this list to be extensive and a valuable resource curated by vision experts. I will look forward to an updated listing they are projecting for this summer.
Family Vision Care website provides more than just this extensive app list. They also have two other web-based resources featuring great information on developmental optometry and vision therapy for children and adults with vision challenges:
- Vision Help - Website with information on Vision Therapy and article about Vision Therapy and LD, Autism, Head Injury, Stroke and ADHD (and much more)
- The VisionHelp Blog - Blog presenting posts on a variety of vision related topics many of them related to learning and school based practice that would be helpful to OT’s, teachers and therapists.
If you are interested in articles about vision and individuals with Autism, visit the Vision Help website. One article relating to depth perception and 3D movies written by Dr. Carole Hong OD, FCOVD, POP-3D Vision Dec 2010 provides interesting information about readiness for 3D for children.
Family Vision Care provides not only the extensive app listing but also resources useful for intervention with our students and clients. Thank you to Dr. Carole Hone, OD, FCOVD for sharing her article and online resources!
More visual perceptual apps and information for your OT iTool Kit!